5 Tips for Managing Dental Anxiety
If you have a fear of the dentist, you are not alone. Some studies estimate as many as 50 percent of all adults suffer from dental anxiety.
But you should not let your fears keep you from visiting the dentist regularly. Your oral health is an important part of your overall well-being, so you cannot afford to skimp on it. What can you do about your dental anxiety before your next trip to the dentist in Arlington, TX?
How to Keep Dental Anxiety in Check
- Talk to your dentist. Your dentist is fully aware of the fact that many people feel anxious before their time in the dental chair. If you let him know that you are nervous ahead of time, there is much he can do to make sure your trip is as calming as possible.
- Find out if sedation dentistry is right for you. If your anxiety is serious, ask if sedation dentistry is an option for your next visit. We offer conscious oral sedation as well as nitrous oxide, both of which can make a world of difference for patients.
- Put your trust in technology. Some of the stigmas surrounding dental treatment predate current technology. Technology has come far in not only making your time in the dental chair quicker but also less invasive.
- Find a dentist with whom you feel comfortable. Building trust with one dental practice can help lessen anxiety quite a bit—especially when you find a dentist who is particularly skilled at dealing with stressed-out patients.
- Make sure treatment goes at a comfortable pace. If you ever feel panicked during a procedure or if something is bothering you, say so! Arrange a signal with your dentist ahead of time so you know you are in control.
Don’t Let Anxiety Keep You from Receiving Dental Care
Call your Arlington, TX, dentist Rush Creek Dentistry and let us know you are feeling anxious. We will do whatever we can to help you feel comfortable. Call us today!